Date:      Fri, 29 May 2020 20:35:35 +0200
From:      Daniel Ebdrup Jensen <debdrup@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Freebsd hackers list <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Request: show interfaces

--j6zkxdhjqcnqdc3v

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 10:49:40AM -0700, joe mcguckin wrote:
>It=E2=80=99s always bugged me that Unix doesn=E2=80=99t show as much infor=
mation as a typical router
>does about ethernet interface statistics.
>
>What we really need is the equivalent of Cisco =E2=80=99show interface=E2=
=80=99

>This shows the bit rate, packet rate, count, all the various type of error=
s, etc.

>Cisco allows a description field to be set for each interface, and that sh=
ows up also in a =E2=80=99show int=E2=80=99 output.

>I think these would be great features, considering how ofter FreeBSD is us=
ed for routers and firewalls.

>Thanks,
>
>Joe
>

>Joe McGuckin
>ViaNet Communications
>
>joe@via.net
>650-207-0372 cell
>650-213-1302 office
>650-969-2124 fax

Hi Joe,

FreeBSD, and other Unix-likes historically, exposes this differently from h=
ow=20
it's available on IOS (and not even IOS is consistent about OID namespacing=
),=20
which tends to have a more CLI based approach than a real vty; this is of=
=20
course a matter of preference, but I think I'm partial to a vty rather than=
 a CLI.

For FreeBSD, most of the information you're seeking is available via 'sysct=
l -a'=20
where you can often grep the dev.<driver>.%d.mac_stats. namespace for the v=
arious
counts - from which you can figure a rate by dividing into number of=20
seconds and assuming an IMIX distribution, unless you know your distributio=
n to=20
be, also get a rough count of the actual bandwidth. If you need more detail=
ed=20
information there's either the SIFTR(4) framework or dtrace (though at leas=
t the=20
latter has quite noticable probe effect if you're tracing individual packet=
s) if
you aren't using a firewall.

There's also a lot of additional information available, at least if you're=
=20
running ipfw. I can't speak to pf, but I'd be surprised if it's lacking.

There's also information about the physical hardware itself available in in=
=20
'pciconf -BcelvV' - although I imagine this might depend on the hardware it=
self=20
to some degree.

Hope this helps, because I think I might not be the only one that doesn't l=
ike=20
the CLI-ification of a certain piece of opensource software. :)

Yours,
Daniel Ebdrup Jensen

--j6zkxdhjqcnqdc3v

--j6zkxdhjqcnqdc3v--