Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 95 11:03:25 -0600
From:      jcargill@cs.wisc.edu (Jon Cargille)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   2.0 Installation strangeness

I'm trying to help someone through the install of FreeBSD-2.0; he's
running into a very strange thing.

He's getting into a "reboot loop" when booting from the boot.flp
diskette.  I asked him to reformat/re-rawrite, and he says the media
formatted error-free.

At any rate, the error he's getting is something like the following:

Changing root device to fd0c
wd1: change size of d partition from 1055something to 1100somethingelse
error mounting root
panic:  something or other

This was transcribed over the phone, so I may have introduced errors
in the above, but I think the jist of it is correct...

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong; this is an install bugaboo
that I haven't run across before...

I believe that he had gotten "part way" through the installation in
the past before having some other problem; as a result, he may have
some incomplete, potentially strange partition information on wd1.
However, I thought that the hard drives should be pretty much ignored
if you're booting from the floppy drive.

Thanks much for any help you can offer,

Jon