Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 2014 09:57:57 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>, x11@freebsd.org, Filippo Moretti <filippomore@yahoo.com>, Ports FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Analyzed] Re: Problem with xorg

Am 31.08.2014 um 09:45 schrieb Adrian Chadd:
> Ok, so what can we do right now to not have unicode characters in say,
> the US keymap file?

The  "normal" US keyboard (/usr/share/vt/keymaps/us.kbd) does not
contain characters >= 0x100.
There is no problem even with ISO8859-1 characters used in many European
countries, since they all are in the range 0x00 to 0xff.

A problem is European keyboards with teh Euro sign (0x20ac) or e.g.
Cyrillic or Greek keyboards, where many characters are >= 0x100.

> (Just a local change, not committed anywhere - I agree it needs to be
> fixed in the xorg code.)

I'm wondering whether it might make sense to have the work-around
committed to the xf86-input-keyboard port.
People will waste time trying to understand, why their X server stops
working when they select a keyboard layout with problematic characters
for use with vt.

This was not possible until a few weeks ago, since there were no such
keymaps committed to vt/keymaps. If you had a keymap defined in rc.conf,
then the name that used to work with syscons did not work with vt, but
was just
ignored (and the compiled in default US keyboard layout was used).

I plan to commit a change to rc.d/syscons, soon, which will allow vt to
be used with syscons keymap names (which are then internally converted
to vt keymap names).
With that change to rc.d/syscons, people will have their localized
keyboard layout under vt, but will not be able to a local X11 server,
anymore ...

So I'm considering to commit the work-around patch, since a single
missing key (under plain X11 - e.g. KDE works with all keys) will be
just a minor violation of POLA, compared to no X11 at all.

Regards, STefan