Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 22:03:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        Ryan Masse <rmasse@mastery.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Certification

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Ryan Masse wrote:

> Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 14:02:50 -0400
> From: Ryan Masse <rmasse@mastery.ca>
> To: "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
> Cc: FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Re: Certification
>
> sorry in advance if this message was received a second time.
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > it seems, I am writing from the other side of the ocean
> > (Germany to be exact) and do not completely understand this
> > discussion. But for professional reasons I am interested.
> >
> > So I would be happy if you answered these two questions:
> > 1) Are there really any working online-courses for anything,
> >      which will give you a certification -
> >      if true: could you give me an example?
> > 2) (still if true:) do they work completely automagically or
> >    are there human beings involved who control the stuff?
> >

> Actually i work IT for a company who has a training platform (not html
> based) which installs and runs over cd-rom,lan,intranet, and/or internet in
> which it delivers interactive media accross one of the above methods of
> delivery. I know everybody that has seen a cbt training package laughs at
> its performance, design and over functionality but this package is truly
> workable into any environment. It is totally customizable with builtin
> testing, reporting and certificate assigning cababilities. Asside from the
> sales pitch no intervention is needed and some form of this *could be used
> to successfully deploy such a certification program.
>
> for more info on the above check out one of our websites;
> http://www.masterycanada.com
> http://www.masterytech.com
Thanks for your hint, Ryan.
In my opinion a good course should consist of different
parts:
(1) some sort of theoretical lecture
(2) practical examples/exercises under supervision
(3) self-controlled exercises
(4) exchange of experiences
(5) some sort of test to proof your advance
(6) ...(? - one never knows)
Now I can see an online-course as part (3) or (5) of a
curriculum. A free and community-proven online-course would
make every newbie happy and could be useful to any
professional IT-Trainer as well. The latter would earn his
money with (1), (2), (4) and (6).

So only one question remains:
Is there a market for FreeBSD-admins (remember I am
writing from Germany)?

Uli.