Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 21:46:20 -0500
From:      Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: >8 char usernames going into 2.2.5?

> 	While I'm askin', it would be nice if some chars besides
> letters and numbers could sneak in there too.  The one I would like
> most is - (the dash) but I know there are other requests.  (And yes, I
> know about aliases. :)

  Having recently converted a garbage :-) bin full of Sun Solaris boxes
to FreeBSD, I am happy to report that "." works in most places.

  chown doesn't like it, obviously, but in those few cases I just use the
uid (but then again, there are users who has strictly numeric user
names!!!).

  While it'd have been nice to enforce the rules to start with, there were
several hundred existing users who violated the rules one way or the other
and it'd have been too much of a headache to contact each user directly.

  Tim