Date:      Fri, 31 May 2019 16:36:56 +0200
From:      Adriaan de Groot <adridg@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-git@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Git handling of commit times

--nextPart3004839.fqq9MUTMxn

On Thursday, 30 May 2019 20:29:47 CEST Ed Maste wrote:
> this is all in order to address dteske's concern
> about misordering when rendering changes.

A lot depends on the rendering tools used, *and* what the conceptual "right"
order is. There has been plenty of discussion that shows that that the idea of
commit-date vs. push-date is a difficult one.

Looking at my commits on branch master on GitHub, I have "commits on May 31"
that are 4 hours ago, as well as 3 days ago: I merged a short-lived (but more
than one-day) branch today. That might look weird, but it's only *wrong* if I
have a-priori decided what the ordering should be (date-of-work, vs date-it's-
available-for-others).

There's plenty of other visualisers out there. Ports has gitk (from devel/git
with the GUI option enabled), devel/qgit, and devel/gitg at the very least.
Both qgit and gitk are branch-aware, so they don't linearize the way GitHub
does, and it's more immediately obvious that merge-and-push was today, while
the work was done on tuesday.

Follow-on question would be: are we optimizing tools and procedures for one
specific hosting and presentation layer (e.g. GitHub)  or is there still room
to maneuver there?

[ade]