Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 01:40:41 +0300
From:      "Petri Helenius" <pete@he.iki.fi>
To:        "Don Bowman" <don@sandvine.com>, <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ENOBUFS

>Well, I'm definitely finding that I have more CPU free when using
>the broadcom BCM570X NIC (bge) than the Intel 8254X NIC (em).

What kind of difference are we talking about here? One third or less?

>http://www.etestinglabs.com/main/reports/broadcom.asp
>http://www.etestinglabs.com/main/reports/3com.asp
>has a benchmark of the broadcom versus the intel. This is on
>a win2k platform. These benchmarks were paid for by broadcom,
>so take them with a grain of salt.

I think IŽll put a 3com card onto the PCI-X slot on the same chassis
and do some comparisons on the same exact hardware, traffic and kernel
configuration.

However, if I understand correctly, PCI-X would allow optimizations
that are not present on the em driver?

Pete