Date:      Sat, 07 Apr 2001 15:28:45 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Dale Chulhan - Home <dchulhan@uwi.tt>
Cc:        "chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, My List <TheTechies@onelist.com>, The Trinidad and Tobago Microsoft BackOffice Users Group <mbug@listbot.com>
Subject:   Re: Win NT vs UNIX ( cross fire )

At 01:40 PM 4/7/2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

>I'm not familiar with the history of IPSec and VPN, but Kerberos was
>developed for Unix. IIRC, MS even ported the Unix code. The GNU people
>like to point at MS doing that as a reason to avoid BSD-like licenses
>in favor of the GPL.

Actually, it's a great reason NOT to use the GPL. I'd hate to see what
sort of abomination Windows users would be stuck with if Microsoft
had not been able to adopt Kerberos. Microsoft's relatively minor
change to Kerberos -- similar to the minor one they made to PPP/CHAP --
was quickly accommodated by the industry and caused no major problems
(just annoyance).

--Brett