Date:      Sat, 30 May 2015 11:53:42 -0700
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Quick question re: dual-booting

On Sat, 30 May 2015 00:22:50 +0000 "Pokala, Ravi" <rpokala@panasas.com> wrote

The process is a bit like dogs marking their territory.
As memory serves, when I last tried this, the research I did led me
to install both hard drives in the system. Telling the BIOS to first
attempt Removable Media, then Hard Disk 0, then Hard Disk 1. Then
install Linux first, on drive 1 (second drive). Linux seeing drive 0,
"pissed" on it. Then I spun up the FreeBSD boot disk, or disk1 CD, and
installed FreeBSD, which saw Linux had "pissed" on it, and offered to
install the BootMenu (boot0cfg(0). FreeBSD will then "piss" on disk1
(technically disk0), and, then install boot0cfg(0) and add Linux to the
menu.
The only potential issue I see here, is that Linux installs Grub2,
or lilo on the 1st disk (disk0). In which case, it becomes a matter of
Editing the Grub2/lilo menu. If you should end up in that situation,
perform a search for: FreeBSD boot menu
I just now did that no, and it returned a myriad of relevant material. :)
Also, sorry for the chosen analogy/allegory. It just seemed so
appropriate. ;)

--Chris