Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 18:20:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ralph Strohschein <strohsr@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca>
To:        Roman Katsnelson <romank@graphnet.com>
Cc:        "q's" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: tape backup

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Roman Katsnelson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As a quick intro -- I am positively NOT asking anyone to do my work for
> me here, just need a pointer in a relatively relevant direction. :)
>
> I just hooked up a SCSI tape drive to my machine. I got a tape, and
> tried to test it. However, between the book, handbook and FAQ I was only
> able to get as far as assuming that it's on /dev/rst0. I tried to mount
> it on a directory and got this:
>
> /dev/rst0 on /backup: Block device required.
>
> I don't even know what that means... Help!
> I'm sure this stuff is documented and I'm missing it...
>
> Thanks as always,
> Roman

Tapes are not meant to be mounted, rather they are written to directly,
usually with programs such as tar, dump, cpio, and dd. Tar and dump are
probably the most useful, so have a look at their man pages.

Note that you also have the /dev/nrst0 device, which is the /dev/rst0
device with auto-rewinding disabled. This feature is useful when you want
to have more than one backup on one tape. Also look at the man page for
mt, which is used to position, rewind, and eject the tape.

In a nutshell:  tar -cvf /dev/nrst0 . will back up the current directory
and all subdirectories to tape.

I hope this helps.