Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 1998 18:05:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Yet another XL driver update

Today I put yet another update of the 3Com Etherlink XL driver at
www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/3Com. This version has changes to fix support
for 100baseT4 cards and fixes a small bug in the TX error recovery.

I'm hoping to commit the 3.0 driver to -current by the end of next
week, but I'm still concerned that there may be problems in some
configurations. I've have a couple people report problems with
performance but lack of followups has made it hard to me to know
if these problems are still present. I'm interested mainly in the
following:

- I have received some reports of spotty transmission performance
  or 'transmission error' messages. I made a mistake in the code
  that tries to recover from some of these errors (I wasn't resetting
  the upload list pointer correctly) which should be fixed now.
  I'm interested to know if transmission problems persist,
  particularly with 10Mbps links on slow machines. This applies
  to all supported cards (3c900, 905 and 905B).

- I haven't yet been able to fix the problem with one particular
  3c900 COMBO card. This card appears to initialize correctly
  but refuses to do DMA. The 3c900 card that I have works properly
  and I haven't been able to remotely debug the problem. If you
  have a 3c900 card that probes correctly but doesn't appear to
  transmit and receive, and which does work corretly with the
  vx driver (which doesn't use DMA), then I'd like to know.
  Without any other evidence, I'm nearly convinced that this is
  a hardware problem with this one card.

If you have a problem, please let me know. Tell me the type of
system you're using, the type of card you have, the version of FreeBSD,
and a _DETAILED_ description of the problem, along with a way to
reproduce the failure, if at all possible.

-Bill