Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2007 20:56:44 -0800
From:      jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
To:        "Brent Jones" <brent.jones@otago.ac.nz>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cmos clock to utc time code?

On Nov 8, 2007, at 6:21 PM, Brent Jones wrote:

> There's no time zone setting in a cmos clock.  Just set the time to
> whatever UTC is, and you should be good to go.  Ideally though, you
> should have the system do an ntpdate command first, which will take
> care
> of the clock issue for you.  Just put:
>
> ntpdate_enable="YES"
>
> in your rc.conf file, and it will run before ntpd starts.
I have ntpd_enable="YES"
in /etc/rc.conf already, would there be a conflict?
While this machine is being configured with all the
functional software I want working, hub mail server with
Cyrus, Apache/php/mysql. while I am getting everything
set up and tested the machine will not be running 24/7
so ntpdate would probably be a better choice, but once
all is square with the world, it will be running 24/7 and I
have three other machines that will use it to get their
time set (unless I have misunderstood and this is not
possible or practical)
Thank you for your response
Jeff K