Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 1995 13:54:07 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sbin Makefile

> > Would you like to see everything from .emacs to .fvwmrc *go away*?
>
> No.

Given that Garrett isn't much focused on applications side, I already
assumed "no" there. :)

> It already /is/ done correctly.  Perhaps you mean `something like
> sysctl(3) but done the way Jordan wants'?

Ordinary users can write variables?  User or group local variables can
shadow system ones?  Not new ideas, not even my ideas.  A proper
registry would have to allow that and I'd see sysctl() as being simply
folded into it.  Why have two parallel mechanisms?

				Jordan