Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:29:33 -0400
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3-RELEASE TODO

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 03:04:47PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 10:24:39AM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:
>
> >  This is a list of open issues that need to be resolved for FreeBSD 5.3. If
> >  you have any updates for this list, please e-mail re@FreeBSD.org.
> >
> > Show stopper defects for 5.3-RELEASE
>
> These are the bugs I'm currently tracking (those I can remember right
> now, at least)
> [...]
> * ATA tends to panic the system when error conditions occur, e.g.
>
> ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=45113664
> ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device
> ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=45113664
> ad0: WARNING - removed from configuration
> ata0-master: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA timed out

> [...]
>
> OTOH ATA on 4.x also gives panics with INVARIANTS when this kind of
> thing happens.

I would love to see this fixed, as it direly affects many people who
are trying to BOOT and cannot because of these ATA failure crashes.
Soeren really didn't seem very interested in the idea of ATA not
crashing and burning any time a device is forcibly detached (and reset).

  <> green@FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \