Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 18:27:14 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff@mountin.net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lynx and refresh

At 11:30 AM 10/29/98 -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
>?refresh=N means nothing.  That's just a query arg passed to the
>server.  Refreshes are usually done with a <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"
>CONTENT=300> tag inside the document.

With Netscape on a 95 system, you can take "?refresh=N" on any URL.

>Timed refreshing in lynx is possible, but not done, for a variety of
>reasons.  My personal reason?  I hate it when a page changes when I'm
>in the middle of reading it. See
>http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0397/msg00883.html for another
>person's explanation of why lynx doesn't auto-refresh.

All understandable and my agreemnt on pages with text that refresh.  Some
sites have 2 or more consecutive pages that are timed for "effect" and do
not have a link to avoid the wait.  THAT is really bothersome.

>Would a "while sleep 1 ; do lynx -dump http://my.server/status ; done"
>suffice for your purposes?

Not as pretty, but with some work I can fix it up.

Still having a hot key to reload would be much better.

I'll search the archives and see if that has been suggested, since there
definately are time when you really want to and having to write a script
isn't as elegant or friendly to those used to gui, like most clients.

cheers!

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net