Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 11:54:59 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DELL laptops...

On Friday,  5 November 1999 at 16:36:59 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> I have a Dell Latitude, and have been relatively happy with it.
>
> Could you define 'relatively happy'?  ;-)

There are a couple of things that don't work the way I want them:

1.  I can't get the builtin sound card to set the volume as high as
    the Microsoft software does.  I suspect it's misrecognizing the
    chip and using a compatibility mode, but I can't get Dell to tell
    me what's in there, let alone how to program it.

2.  I can't run two PCMCIA cards on the machine without trickery:
    there don't seem to be enough spare IRQs.  The only way I've been
    able to do it is by disabling the PCIC and using its IRQ for one
    of the cards.  This means that if I then pull the card, the
    machine locks up.  "Well don't do that then".

Greg