Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 11:56:58 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patches from -current for -stable I'd like to commit after testing

> > > Nate, hit me with them post-fishin' changes.
> >
> > Will do when I get them wrapped up.
>
> Unfortunately, they didn't work out.  I was hoping to get suspend/resume
> to work without requiring the pccard daemon running.  (Ie; once a driver
> was 'mapped' in, suspend/resume didn't require the daemon to re-register
> the device, which is how the apm_pccard_resume code from PAO works.)

I think that this isn't realistically achievable; the countercase is
when a card is changed while the system is suspended.  When you come
back up it is not safe to make *any* assumptions about what's in either
slot.

> In any case, I'd like to figure out a way to have a device truly
> 'shutdown', and then come back up.  However, I need to look at things a
> bit more closely, since my 'brute force and ignorance' patch didn't seem
> to help.

Um.  I would be trying to fake a removal on power down, followed by a
faked insertion when we wake back up.  You might be able to fool the
pcic into this if you turn the power to the slots off before you go
down, and then back on when you come up again - note that I haven't
studied the code yet, so I could be talking out an armpit.

mike