Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:40:24 -0600
From:      Ben Weaver <sid67@tranquility.net>
To:        "Dey, Avi" <Avi.Dey@advest.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'tein@starpower.net'" <tein@starpower.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD SERVER FOR SMALL COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION

It seems to me that you'll need these things:

1) Server hardware
2) A person or persons who will take the time to learn about FreeBSD and system administration
3) Internet Connectivity

Once you have these things, you just need to install FreeBSD on the server.  Make sure the hardware is compatible with FreeBSD.  You can take a look at the hardware compatibility guide at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-hw.html.

Once you have established that the hardware is compatible, install FreeBSD.  Here's some stuff to help you out with that:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-guide.html
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/install.html
http://www.freebsddiary.org/topics.php3#install

Then you need to set it up properly for what you want to do.  It sounds like you just want to use it for web pages, so you will probably want to install apache.  You can do this by installing the apache port.  For information on installing ports, see http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ports-using.html

To learn how to configure apache, see

http://www.freebsddiary.org/topics.php3#apache
http://www.apache.org

You will also want to turn off most services you wont be using such as telnet, finger, ntalk, shell, etc in /etc/inetd.conf.  To learn how to do this and more, read about freebsd at

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd
http://www.freebsddiary.org
Buy the FreeBSD handbook http://www.freebsdmall.com/books/bsdcomp_bkx.phtml

Read about information not specific to FreeBSD
http://www.ugu.com
http://www.daemonnews.org

You can buy books on specific subject from O'reilly.  These can be helpful.
http://www.oreilly.com

Have fun reading!

-Ben