Date:      Sun, 2 Aug 1998 23:35:28 -0500
From:      "Jeff Rogers" <jlr@soltec.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   error code 1 after building kernel

I want to rebuild the Generic kernel to support soundblaster 16 pnp.

I have first copied the Generic Kernel, created, edited & saved the
new one, used /usr/sbin/config [kernel name] to build it.  It builds
successfully.

This is exactly how I added the section dealing with the sb16:

# PNP Driver
conroller	pnp0

# Sound

controller	      snd0
device sb0	      at isa? port 0x220 irq5 drq1 vector sbintr
device sbxvi0	at isa? drq 5
device sbmidi0	at isa? port 0x330

Then, when I do the following:

# cd ../../compile/[kernel name]
# make

it appears to also be successful.  But then when it appears to be

igmp.0: Undefined symbol '_loif' referenced from text segment
ip_output.0: Undefined symbol 'looutput' referenced in text segment
***Error code 1

stop

I have gone back with "ee" and looked at the kernel, and it appears to
be okay, so far as I know (which is very little :) ).  Can anyone point
me in a good direction for tracing my problem?  I also did a search
for text that seemed to be highlighted in the error code (e.g. _loif); but
the searches turned up no matches.

Did I enter the relevant pnp and sb drive info in the wrong location?

Again, thank you all for your generosity with your expertise.

Jeff Rogers
jlr@soltec.net