Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:59:02 -0500
From:      "B. Cook" <bcook@idsi.net>
To:        "Andrew Gallatin" <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Hello :)

I haven't done anything really special...

# pwd
/usr/ports/www/apache13

[root@admintoo apache13]# make clean distclean
===>  Cleaning for apache-1.3.19
===>  Deleting distfiles for apache-1.3.19

# pkg_info | grep apache

[root@admintoo apache13]# pkg_info
autoconf-2.13       Automatically configure source code on many Un*x
platforms
automake-1.4        GNU Standards-compliant Makefile generator
bash-2.04           The GNU Borne Again Shell
bind-9.1.0          The Berkeley Internet Name Daemon, an implementation of
DNS
bzip2-1.0.1         A block-sorting file compressor
cclient-2000c       Mark Crispen's C-client mail access routines
cvsup-bin-16.1      A general network file distribution system optimized for
CV
epic4-0.9.16        The (E)nhanced (P)rogrammable (I)RC-II (C)lient
expat-1.2           XML 1.0 parser written in C
freetype-1.3.1_1    A free and portable TrueType font rendering engine
freetype2-2.0.1     A free and portable TrueType font rendering engine
gd-1.8.4_1          A graphics library for fast PNG creation
gettext-0.10.35     GNU gettext package
glib-1.2.8          Some useful routines of C programming
gmake-3.79.1        GNU version of 'make' utility
h2n-1.29            Translate host table to name server file format
ident2-1.0          An RFC1413 identification server which also supports
random
jpeg-6b             IJG's jpeg compression utilities
libtool-1.3.4_2     Generic shared library support script
logcheck-1.1.1      Auditing tool for system logs on Unix boxes
lynx-2.8.3.1        A non-graphical, text-based World-Wide Web client
m4-1.4              GNU's m4
mm-1.1.3            Shared memory library for applications with pre-forked
proc
mrtg-2.9.7          The multi-router traffic grapher
mysql-client-3.23.35 Multithreaded SQL database (client)
ncftp3-3.0.2        FTP replacement with advanced user interface
nmap-2.54.b22       Port scanning utility for large networks
osf1_base-4.0f      The base set of libraries needed in OSF/1 (Tru64) mode
png-1.0.9_1         Library for manipulating PNG images
popt-1.5.1          A getopt(3) like library with a number of enhancements,
fro
python-1.5.2_1      An interpreted object-oriented programming language
radiusniff-0.2      Sniffer for RADIUS traffic
rdate-1.0           Sets the clock of the local host to the time of another
hos
rinetd-0.61         A simple TCP port redirector
samba-2.0.7         A free SMB and CIFS client and server for UNIX
scanssh-1.5         Scanssh scans a subnet and reports the version of SSH
insta
skill-4.0_1         SuperKILL, kill or renice processes by pid, name, tty or
ui
stat-1.3            Print inode contents
sudo-1.6.3.6        Allow others to run commands as root
ucd-snmp-4.2        An extendable SNMP implimentation
unrar-2.50          Extract, view & test RAR archives
wget-1.6_2          Retrieve files from the 'net via HTTP and FTP

# pwd
/usr/ports/www/apache13

[root@admintoo apache13]# make install
>> apache_1.3.19.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.

Extracting... >> Checksum OK for apache_1.3.19.tar.gz.
 + using installation path layout: FreeBSD
(/usr/ports/www/apache13/files/FreeBSD.layout)
Creating Makefile
Creating Configuration.apaci in src
 + enabling mod_so for DSO support
Creating Makefile in src
 + configured for FreeBSD 4.3 platform
 + setting C pre-processor to cc -E
 + checking for system header files
 + adding selected modules

and the build happens...

one example to show the ev4 option...

===> src/support
cc -c  -I../os/unix -I../include  -DHARD_SERVER_LIMIT=512  -DDOCUMENT_LOCATI
ON=\"/usr/local/www/data/\"  -DDEFAULT_PATH=\"/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin\"
  -DACCEPT_FILTER_NAME=\"httpready\" -funsigned-char -DUSE_EXPAT -I../lib/ex
pat-lite -O -pipe -g -mcpu=ev4 `../apaci` htpasswd.c
cc -DHARD_SERVER_LIMIT=512  -DDOCUMENT_LOCATION=\"/usr/local/www/data/\"  -D
DEFAULT_PATH=\"/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin\"  -DACCEPT_FILTER_NAME=\"httpre
ady\" -funsigned-char -DUSE_EXPAT -I../lib/expat-lite -O -pipe -g -mcpu=ev4
`../apaci` -o htpasswd   -L../os/unix -L../ap htpasswd.o -lap -los  -lcrypt
htpasswd.o: In function `main':

| You now have successfully built and installed the      |
| Apache 1.3 HTTP server. To verify that Apache actually |
| works correctly you now should first check the         |
| (initially created or preserved) configuration files   |
|   /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf
| and then you should be able to immediately fire up     |
| Apache the first time by running:                      |
|   /usr/local/sbin/apachectl start
| Thanks for using Apache.       The Apache Group        |
|                                http://www.apache.org/  |
===>   Generating temporary packing list
Installing /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh startup file.
===>   Compressing manual pages for apache-1.3.19
===>   Registering installation for apache-1.3.19
===>  SECURITY NOTE:
      This port has installed the following startup scripts which may cause
      network services to be started at boot time.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh

tada..
# cd

[root@admintoo /root]# pwd
/root

[root@admintoo /root]# rm -rf httpd.core

[root@admintoo /root]# pwd
/root

# apachectl start
Segmentation fault - core dumped
/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

]# gdb /usr/local/sbin/httpd
GNU gdb 4.18
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "alpha-unknown-freebsd"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/sbin/httpd

ap_get_local_host (a=0x120080018) at util.c:2051
2051                if (p->h_addr_list[0]) {
(gdb)

And this is where I am.  Any suggestions? I don't think I'm doing anything
'out of the ordinary' and can't think of any other 'way' to do it :)

# uname -a
FreeBSD admintoo.idsi.net 4.3-RC FreeBSD 4.3-RC #0: Mon Mar 26 12:20:24 EST
2001     root@admintoo:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/Admintoo  alpha

# gcc -v
Using builtin specs.
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

# ls -al `which gcc`
-r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  101072 Mar 26 11:53 /usr/bin/gcc
# ls -al `which cc`
-r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  101072 Mar 26 11:53 /usr/bin/cc

I can't think of any other relivant information;
Thanks in advance again...

Brian