Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:25:39 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbies - "Handle me with care?"

At 11:26 AM 6/22/98 -0700, you wrote:

>I think it's a false dichotomy.
>
>Folks who are experimenting or tinkering for its own sake should
>certainly feel free to do anything they want to/with their systems --
>but if they're to do anything more useful than dabbling with Legos or
>making sand-castles, it would be appropriate for them to learn about the
>systems somewhat first.  A good way to do this is by reading the
>documentation that's available --

I can appreciate your point of view on this, but personally I've always
gotten more out of just jumping in and playing around than by reading
documentation.  I think this is a personal thing, and different people
learn better in different ways.

>Folks who are building systems that will be used by others to do useful
>or important work should be a bit more methodical -- as should folks who
>actually hope to learn something from what they experience.

Sure, but a newbie won't likely be doing anything terribly important with
their system and won't likely be installing BSD for others who need solid
systems... so why be methodical?

>Please note that one reason for learning about the experiences of others
>is so one may manage to avoid repeating others' mistakes.

It's very difficult for many people to "learn" from the mistakes of others.
 Most people I know have to make the mistake themselves before they really
get it - otherwise, it's a very shallow and easily forgotten lesson.

>Different folks have different backgrounds, strengths, and weaknesses.

This I agree with completely.

>I would *think* that the sole "requirement" to be considered an
>appropriate target (hmmmm...) for a list called "freebsd-newbies" would
>be lack of familiarity with the FreeBSD variant of UNIX (or an interest
>in the trials & tribulations of those who are thus deprived of
>experience).  I'm certainly willing to be convinced otherwise.

You won't be from me, as I agree with you.  In fact, someone might have 20
years of experience with Linux or a commercial Unix and just starting with
FreeBSD, and appropriately be called a FreeBSD newbie.

Good points, thanks.  I guess the way people should approach learning BSD
depends greatly on their experience in other areas (hardware, other OS's,
etc).

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.