Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 19:44:18 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who is interested in /dev/midi and /dev/synth ?

|well you missed the last sentence :)

Well, no truthfully I did see that last phrase the first time.  :-)

It brought back memories of my "enjoyable" strolls through the current
driver code figuring out the mods to port the Linux AWE driver into it (and
after that, memories of how much time I spent getting the one module
committed).  That was just porting; we're now talking about redesigning,
not just the driver, but the entire working synth subsystem.

Time, Talent, and Enthusiasm allowing, I'm with you.  I prefer clear code
with good comments and an interface and design document so its easy to
maintain and extend, particularly when it's done that way the first time.

However, if across the group we're lacking T T or E for a rewrite, unless
you know of some prohibitive bugs in the existing synth code, it might be a
good idea to lean toward working it so that the synth system's existing
external APIs can be "plugged in" so-to-speak across a DMZ (your clean code
on one side; ugly-but-functional code on the other) into a compatibility
API in your rewritten modules.  We can leave a "FIXME: rewrite me someday"
comment in the synth modules for when TT&E all come along to rewrite them.

I guess while you're writing your documentation over the next few days
(which will of course be a big help to whoever does the rewrite), you might
jot your ideas on the synth redesign in an Appendix.  With your knowledge,
this should give the person(s) that take this on a big head start.

|                                    really I hoped that people
|like you could help in adding support for the synth since you
|certainly have quite some expertise and maybe even interest in
|these features. But of course you also might have limited time and
|cannot work on everything.

Well thanks, but I actually don't know much about the current sound driver
innards.  I just did the port of the AWE module, poking around in that
current driver enough to accomplish that.

In terms of TT&E, over an extended period I could probably find the time.
Talent, read "innate knowledge of the old synth systems' inner workings",
is severely lacking now but could be developed (with listings, a
highlighter, much coffee, and some aspirin :-).  However, in rank on the
rest of my "things I could be doing with my free time" list, the prospect
of redesigning this working subsystem isn't way up there.  Someone else
more into soundcard coding might be interested in this project though.

Randall

Randall Hopper: