Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2012 13:14:13 +0800
From:      "Wright, Brett" <Brett.Wright@cooperindustries.com>
To:        "Adrian Chadd" <adrian@freebsd.org>, "Kim Culhan" <w8hdkim@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Atheros DFS radar detection

Hi Adrian,

I have been mucking around with the radar parameters for several days
now. In order to get reasonably low levels of false detects I need very
aggressive (at least I *think* they are aggressive) values for the radar
parameters. For example:

FIRPWR: -33
RRSSI: 45
HEIGHT: 28
PRSSI: 22
INBAND: 6

However, the meaning of these parameters is still a little unclear to
me. I have read the patent document many times but there is still a lot
of information I do not know. I would be prepared to bet that Atheros
has documentation describing the above parameters with a lot more
clarity. For example , just to pick one of the parameters FIRPWR:
According to the comment for this field it is a threshold that the
signal power must exceed, but it's default value is -41dBm. Now -41dBm
is VERY strong! Also, my experimentally derived value of -31dBm is way
stronger still. Certainly in my test environment the strongest signals
are around -55dBm (way weaker than either of these values). This really
highlights to me that I am "missing" something...

Also, the parameter I found makes the biggest difference to my false
detects is RRSSI which is "the threshold that the RSSI must exceed when
AGC is OK..." etc. Is this a SNR? If so 45dB (my setting for this
parameter) with a noise floor around -95dBm would equate to an absolute
RSSI of -50dBm. Am I reading this correctly? And if it is an SNR, then
why is FIRPWR apparently an actual RSSI (i.e. absolute level). Is
everything other than FIRPWR an SNR?=20

Finally, I haven't yet taken the next step of actually injecting radar
pulses, but my suspicion is that with such aggressive parameters that
actual radar detection according to the regulatory test patterns will
fail.

I do realize that the difficulties I'm having are due to my lack of
information and understanding, however any light you may be able to shed
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks=20
Brett