Date:      24 Oct 1995 02:14:48 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (fwd) CERT Advisory CA-95:13 - Syslog Vulnerability (with sendmail workaround)

andreas@sunny.wup.de (Andreas Klemm) writes:

>Hi !

>Do you know this CERET Advisory already ?!

>Strange for me, that a Linux version with a certain libc release
>is 1. proofed by CERT and 2. mentioned to be secure and
>FreeBSD isn't mentioned ..... what does it mean ...
>	a) CERT doesn't test FreeBSD ?
>	b) FreeBSD still has the mentioned security hole ?
>Regards
>	Andreas ///

FreeBSD has fixed the hole, IMHO better than the others, but it used
one of the advanced 4.4BSD stdio features to do it more securely
(fwopen()/vfprintf() instead of umpteen strlen()/snprintf()).

They covered FreeBSD/NetBSD (not by name) by saying: there are
different patches available for other operating systems, but these
have not been evaluated by cert, blah, blah.  Both Free/NetBSD did it
their own way.

-Peter