Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:49:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Orville R. Weyrich.Jr" <orville@weyrich.com>
To:        Olivier Cherrier <Olivier.Cherrier@cediti.be>
Cc:        "'freebsd-net'" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Actual firewall

If the previously open-licensed source code has developed a more
restrictive license, that does not prevent free use of the old source
code, does it?  Rather than throwing the whole thing out, would not the
proper response be to throw out only the more restrictive source code and
find a new programmer to maintian the code base who is more "open"?

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Olivier Cherrier wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am going to set up a firewall.
> Usually, I use the association IPFilter/IPNat.
>
> Since the IPF licence changed and since the OpenBSD project
> completely removed IPF from his source tree, is it possible
> that a similar thing append to the FreeBSD project?
>
> I read the publics mail from Darren Reed. He said that FreeBSD
> and NetBSD can use it and patch it. But, is it possible that
> things change?
>
> Since I naturally prefer build a firewall with a supported tools
> set, could some hackers say me whether I can use IPF or whether
> I have to use IPFW?
>
> Thanks a lot for your helpful comments.
>
> oc

IF YOU WANT REFORM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> VOTE REFORM
Orville R. Weyrich, Jr.                 Weyrich Computer Consulting
mailto:orville@weyrich.com     KD7HJV        http://www.weyrich.com
Visit our online collection of book reviews:

		  http://www.weyrich.com/book_reviews/

Ask about our world wide web services!