Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 08:49:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: on the subject of changes to -RELEASEs...

Darren Reed wrote:

> In some mail from Jonathan M. Bresler, sie said:
> >
> > 	a frequently changing "2.2-RELEASE" is not a release
> > 	it would become very difficult to help people with problems.
> > 	(which version you running? 2.2-RELEASE.
> > 	 which 2.2-RELEASE?)
> > 	 admittedly, we could change the output of uname but trying to
> > 	 keep abreast of each version would be supporters nightmare.
> >
> > 	"kernel of the week" club?
> > 	aka linux.
> >
> > 	no thanks.
>
> Might I add, that a constantly changing 2.2-STABLE is the equivalent of
> the "linux kernel club of the week".  At times, FreeBSD-current is a "kernel
> of the week" club in many ways too, as is NetBSD-current.

	absolutely!   no doubt about it.  that is what the -current label
	is supposed to imply--currently under developement.
	wanna run -current on your box?  cool, but BE CAREFUL ;)

> What Linux lacks is the distinct "checkpoints" - which in FreeBSD could be
> equated to 2.2.0-RELEASE, 2.2.1-RELEASE.  Well, from where I sit anyway :)

	a release is a checkpoint, a freeze on the code base that should
	never thaw.  additional freezes will take place, but once
	labelled 2.2.0-RELEASE (or whatever) those its never chagen

	so if harry has a problem with 2.2.0-RELEASE, we can all get
	the same bits and work on it without being concerned that
	harry's 2.2.0-RELEASE bits are not the same as ours ;)

> I'm sure I've offended a large number of the FreeBSD team just there :)

	nahhhhh.....we all got a thicker skin than that. ;>
jmb