Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 2004 17:21:56 +1000
From:      Tim Robbins <tjr@freebsd.org>
To:        Eugene <el2000@km.ru>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unicode locale

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 10:55:21AM +0400, Eugene wrote:
> Hello All,
>
>       Does FreeBSD 5.1 support unicode locale?
>       I'd like to use UTF-8 with Russian parameters.
>       I looked at /usr/share/locale
>       and found only am_ET.UTF-8
>       Does it mean utf-8 support exists only for armenian?
>       What about another languages and contries?

The base system has a UTF-8 version of every supported locale in 5.2-CURRENT,
but for previous releases (inc. 5.1), you'll have to install misc/utf8locale
from the ports collection.

Support for UTF-8 (and other multi-byte encodings) has been greatly improved
since 5.1 and 5.2, so you'd do well to upgrade to 5.3 when it's released.

Tim