Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 11:20:57 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Al Reuben <alex@nac.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Rick Smith <rsmith@nac.net>, Who???? <rpalma@nac.net>
Subject:   Re: Strange username questions...

Al Reuben wrote:

> We are migrating our mail server from a single Linux box to a (we hope)
> freebsd cluster.
>
> We are running into two problems, one of which I think we have solved by
> looking at the archives. First, we have the need for greater than 8
> character usernames; we have over 9500 accounts, and many _already_ have
> usernames > 8 chars, and we can't change them. But, I saw the notes on
> -CURRENT, etc., and I think we can accomplish this feat.

	You can have long usernames on -Stable too. In /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h
change MAXLOGNAME to 18 and in /usr/src/include/utmp.h change
UT_NAMESIZE to 16 and you can have 16 character usernames. As stated,
once this is done you have to make world, then make a new kernel and
reboot. I also suggest deleting wtmp and utmp before rebooting since the
larger usernames require a different format in those files.

> However, we found something else interesting. Unlike Linux, FreeBSD
> appears that it can't have '.'s (meaning PERIODS) in usernames;

	Already answered. It works, but is not recommended.

Good luck,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet