Date:      13 Dec 2002 07:30:56 +0000
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        David Loszewski <stealth215@attbi.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: no internal access to webpage

Hi Dave,
   The reason you have access to your webserver from external sites is
somewhat the reason why you don't have internal access (by name) to your
webserver.

The gateway passes requests to port 80 it receives from its *external*
interface to port 80 on your webserver. From an internal host, attempts
to access the website hits your gateway, on its *internal* interface,
and is passed to the Internet via the external interface. The
translation of the returning request by the external interface back in
doesn't work with the current set up of natd.

Running a local nameserver that points to the local address of the
website would probably work.., ONLY if its shielded from the Internet
though. If not, you'd end up with your DNS pointing to a website that's
bound to a RFC 1918 (private) address - not good.

Hope this helps.

Stacey

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 07:04, David Loszewski wrote:
> I'm having a problem where I can't access my webpage internally but can
> access it externally.  I'm running all FreeBSD 4.6.2 and 4.7 machines
> and have no internal namerserver of anytype.  do I need to create an
> internal nameserver for myself to type in my domain name and come up
> with my webpage?  I have a gateway and the gateway forwards any requests
> for port 80 to the webserver.
>
> Dave

Stacey Roberts
B.Sc (HONS) Computer Science