Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:14:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      zhihuizhang <bf20761@binghamton.edu>
To:        Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A multi-OS Installation of FreeBSD 2.2.8

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Andrew MacIntyre wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, zhihuizhang wrote:
>
> > I have posted similar messages some time ago and I have not figured out my
> > problem since then.  My machine already has Windows-NT, DOS, Linux
> > installed on it. I tried to install FreeBSD at the last primary partition
> > which is 1.4Gig. Everthing went soomthly except when I reboot the machine
> > and let system commander to choose the partion labeled as BSD to boot
> > from, I got the "read error" message and the system hangs.
>
> Have you tried using a boot floppy and attempting to mount the hard disk
> partition containing your FreeBSD installation?  This might give an
> indication as to whether your machine's BIOS or System Commander
> doesn't like the FreeBSD partition or there's some other problem.

No. How to mount?  I can not run FreeBSD on that machine yet.

> The only thing that comes to mind is that there is/was a requirement that
> bootable partitions (or perhaps the OS boot code at least) had to be
> within the first 1024 cylinders.  Depending on the BIOS settings, some
> BIOSes remap drive geometries so that the whole disk appears to
> unsophisticated boot code/OSes to have <=1024 cylinders, which avoids the
> problem.  I don't know whether System Commander is capable of working
> around such BIOS limitations.  You also don't say how big the drive is -
> if its greater than 8.4GB (which will remap to >255 heads with 1024
> cylinders) then its not inconceivable this might be part of your problem.
> FreeBSD 2.2.8 itself will not have any problems with such a large drive
> though.

I got three primary partitions in my machine and the FreeBSD is the last.
I tried to setup the primary master disk in BIOS as follows:

type     size    clyls    head     precomp    landz    sector mode
user     6449    784      255         0       13327      63    LBA
                                                               ---
(All the numbers come out automatically when I select LBA mode) But I got
the same error message (I did reinstall FreeBSD after this) - "read
error".  I hope someone can give me more hints.