Date:      Fri, 02 Sep 2011 12:00:05 -0400
From:      Douglas Gilbert <dgilbert@interlog.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   smp_utils: command line utilities for SAS expanders

smp_utils is a package of command line utilities for
accessing and controlling SAS expanders via the Serial
Management Protocol (SMP). See this page:
   http://sg.danny.cz/sg/smp_utils.html
for more information.

This package was written for Linux and has been ported
to FreeBSD (starting at smp_utils version 0.97b1). It
uses the extensions to CAM added in late 2010 and only
found in the yet to be released FreeBSD 9.0 . A quirk of
the CAM extensions is that SAS expanders (more precisely
SMP targets) are not visible in the user space. CAM
assumes there will be a "twin" SES device (true for the
SAS-2 expanders I have) on the same silicon as the
expander. Hence invocations look like this:
     smp_discover /dev/ses2

camcontrol has been extended in FreeBSD 9.0 to access
some SMP functions. smp_utils version 0.97b1 supports
all functions defined in SAS-2 (up until the lastest
draft: spl2r02.pdf) and that includes zoning support.

Doug Gilbert

P.S. For at least the last 3 years I have been unable to
post to this list. The postmaster@freebsd.org informed
me that my email domain was blacklisted. Not bad for a
grand-fathered email domain that probably hasn't added
a new email account in 10 years! FreeBSD's blacklisting
probably dates from a period when some crazy service in
the US identified every major and minor Canadian email
domain as full of spammers. So anyone else who feels
they have been blacklisted, contact the postmaster.