Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:32:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: another make world problem

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Satoshi Asami
had to walk into mine and say:

>  * cc -pipe -O -DYP   -c /usr/src/usr.bin/chkey/../newkey/update.c
>
> Is this command really from "make world"?  If so, there is something
> clearly missing here.
>
> Satoshi

No. The chkey and newkey commands use the same update.c module since they
both submit changes to the publickey database the same way (via yp_update()
using Secure RPC). Both programs need the same code, but having two
copies of update.c is wasteful, so chkey grabs newkey's copy with PATH:.

There isn't enough of this common code to justify making a library out
of it, and it doesn't belong src/libc/rpc, so this was the best way I
could think of to do it.

-Bill