Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 2015 15:38:30 +0000
From:      Steve Wills <swills@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Santiago Pastorino <spastorino@gmail.com>
Cc:        ruby@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ruby bsd.default-versions.mk DEFAULT_VERSION

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 12:23:05PM -0300, Santiago Pastorino wrote:
> Hey,
>=20
>   just out of curiosity I wonder why is 2.1 the current default
> version. I know that I can change the version by editing
> /etc/make.conf but just wondering if you already know of some pain
> points of going to 2.2 by default or why that's the current decision.
> I'm moving my machine to 2.2 and testing but I tend to think that it
> shouldn't be a major pain.

There are still a number of ports that don't build or work with 2.2. I'd ha=
ve
to test again to give you exact numbers, but it was more than a handfull of
rubygem- and ruby- ports that didn't build. Also, sysutils/puppet, which is
quite important to many users, doesn't support Ruby 2.2 yet (puppet 4.0 wil=
l).
Breaking puppet by default would be far from ideal.

Switching to 2.2 as default locally and testing is encouraged. :)

Steve