Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 2020 13:10:57 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: processes are killed because of out of swap space

> similar to:
>
> Aug  5 17:54:01 sentinel kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace(32): failed
>
> If you are not seeing such swap_pager_getswapspace  messages, then
> it is likely that the mount of swap space still available is not the
> actual thing driving the kills.
>
> Another thing that can lead to kills is paging I/O that is
> slow.

paging device is nvd so it's fast. And system isn't even paging heavily.
but is doing geom_raid5 rebuild right now+copying lots of files to this
raid (new RAID5 just created).

but still - there is A LOT of memory to be reclaimed. inactive is many
gigabytes on my server.

> # Delay when persisstent low free RAM leads to
> # Out Of Memory killing of processes:
> vm.pageout_oom_seq=120
set to 300.

> some free RAM.)
>
> #
> # For plunty of swap/paging space (will not
> # run out), avoid pageout delays leading to
> # Out Of Memory killing of processes:
> vm.pfault_oom_attempts=-1

i don't have such sysctl. is it in FreeBSD 12?
i have 11.3