Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2021 23:31:32 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <montgomerysmithstephen@gmail.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>, Andre Albsmeier <Andre.Albsmeier@siemens.com>
Cc:        ctm-users@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No more ports-cur?

On 4/13/21 8:13 PM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> Yes, git today took me 20 mins on line to update all my local trees,
> If I'd been receiving CTM mail, it would have taken a minute,
> then laptop would be free to disconnect & travel & apply whenever later.
> + sometimes I dont want latest, but an earlier CTM version.

But you can do that with git.  The repository is stored in .git, and you
may as well keep that up to date, because it contains a record of every
change ever made.  That contains the whole repository.

Then you can switch between the different trees (stable/12, stable/13,
current, or whatever) using the git checkout command.  And you can use
git log with git checkout so that your tree is on whichever update you
want.  So the "git pull" command doesn't have to update your files to
the latest version, only the repository that is stored in .git.

And you can do all the git checkouts and logs while you are disconnected
from the internet.  Only the git pull command requires a connection.

The initial download does take a long time.  Just like downloading the
xEmpty file.  But after that, it is very quick.

You only need two repositories, the source and the ports.  (There is
also the docs if you really want that as well)  After that you have
everything.

Yes, it does take a lot of disk space.  But disk space is cheap.  And
the flexibility that you get with having the complete repository on your
hard drive is much more than you would get with CTM.