Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 2004 21:14:23 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        Martin Brecher <listuser@mb-itconsulting.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Plan 9 style backup utility for FreeBSD?

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 03:08:24PM +0100, Martin Brecher wrote:
> Scott Mitchell wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >>Is there some standard tool for doing this on FreeBSD?  You can't just
> >>do a direct copy cause this results in major disk space wastage so I'm
> >>imagining you need to use hard links or something to keep the size down.
> >

> >Check out rsync and the "--link-dest=DIR" option.  This will hardlink
> >unchanged files to the previous copy in the link-dest directory, rather
> >than copying the data again.
> >

> I just saw a project named rsnapshot on freshmeat.net:
>
> 	rsnapshot is a filesystem snapshot utility based on rsync. It
> 	makes it easy to make periodic snapshots of local machines, and
> 	remote machines over ssh. It uses hard links whenever possible,
> 	to greatly reduce the disk space required.
>
> Homepage is <http://www.rsnapshot.org/>. Does not seem to be in the
> ports collection, though.

Sounds like it could be useful.  Might look into this as a replacement for
the various scripts and command-lines-sribbled-on-bits-of-paper that do the
backups at the moment :-)

	Scott

Scott Mitchell           | PGP Key ID | "Eagles may soar, but weasels
Cambridge, England       | 0x54B171B9 |  don't get sucked into jet engines"
scott at fishballoon.org | 0xAA775B8B |      -- Anon