Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 98 15:59:02 +0100
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        eashbaugh@hns.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   General questions

Hello,

The main point is wether your embedded computer will have an HDD or not.
If there is a disk, things are easier :
- It is possible to operate headless (just a matter of reconfiguring -
maybe recompiling the boot for a COMCONSOLE)
- It is possible to upgrade via csvup/make world if you allow the
presence of development tools on each machine + enough space on the disk
- There is some support for ATM in the 3.x.y branch of development (not
yet considered -Stable / should be by Q1'99)
- debugging is done via GDB (+ kernel debugging with KDB ?)

I don't know wether operating without a disk is possible (but there are
ressources on freebsd-small and freebsd-embedded)

	Welcome to FreeBSD

	TfH