Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:28:49 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/editors/bpatch/pkg COMMENT

Eat good food, preserve nature, be nice to all nice people :)

On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > All the indo-european languages are so funny and silly - first they
> > divide the words into several (and totally unneeded) genders (after all,
> > what information does it give to you that the word Ma"dchen is neutrum?),
> > then they think up a whole lot of all kinds of articles, prepositions and
> > other nonsense.
> > 			sng.		plu.
> > 1.the head		pea		pead
> > 2.the head's		pea		peade
> > (etc)
>
> Interesting.  Are you going to tell us what language it is?  Magyar?

Take a look at my mail address... It's estonian, of course.

> > There is a place up there where the discription isn't clear (at least
> > as I watch it myself, for others there might also be others), namely the
> > 8th, but I can't help it.
> >
> > We use the 8th in sentences like:
> > 	1) The man has a gun
> > 	2) The mouse has buttons
> > 	3) The cat feels sick
> > (all three word sentences)
>
> Without articles, they're three word sentences in English, too.

That's not the point. The sentences were only meant as examples.

> > As for the spelling... With the exception of couple of words, they all
> > are written just as you pronunce them (so leaf would be liif, cow
> > would be kau and so on) + words where there are only two consonants
> > written but pronunced are three + everything written is always pronounce
> > (you write kn in the beginning of the word, you pronounce it so, not as
> > in know).
>
> This applies to most languages.

Really? I can't think of too many words that would be spelled that they in
either Englishor French. OK - there's ox and some others, as in german
words are sometimes written almoust as pononuced - but not the vast
majority. The exceptions in the abovenoted case are just two words.

> Greg

	Sander