Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2006 14:37:22 -0400
From:      Jared Mauch <jared@puck.nether.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df@mired.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, Dirk Engling <erdgeist@erdgeist.org>
Subject:   Re: jails, cron and sendmail

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 08:33:18PM -0400, Mike Meyer wrote:
> In <44F0E38F.5030809@erdgeist.org>, Dirk Engling <erdgeist@erdgeist.org> typed:
> Why are you running cron inside the jails at all? Are you letting your
> users run it? If not, can you disable it, and instead run scripts from
> your real crontab that do the appropriate thigns in each jail?

	The way I use jails is i have big-beefy-hardware in colo and 3-5 virtual
"machines" where they get root, etc.. access and it looks almost like
a real host (with a few obvious differences).

	Works nicely as backups are done via rsync on the main host
for the most part to a remote site and essentially provides a live image
(outside of some issues with databases and such) on a remote host
to restart the jails should the main hardware have some catastrophic
failure.

	May not be the full initial intention, but i've found things
like adjkerntz possibly annoying to have enabled in these setups
by default.. but my list of stuff to turn off/on is fairly set so i
don't have a lot of problems.

	- jared