Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:11:49 +0100 (BST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Dan=20Fairs?= <danfairs@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Limiting Virtual Host Traffic - Off-topic :(

Hi,

First, let me apologise for posting an off-topic question - I just hope
to tap the 'related knowledge' of people here.

I run a FreeBSD-based web server with Apache, hosting multiple
(name-based) virtual hosts. Now, this server is co-located, and the
provider limits us by either bandwidth, or data transfer per month. At
the moment, we're on the latter scheme because it's cheaper, and we're
a quite low traffic host (this'll change... ;)

Clearly, our provider is limiting us on a packet-by-packet basis, more
than likely with software in the router we dangle off.

Now, I'd like to implement a similar bandwidth/data quantity limiting
system for my clients, so I can prevent one website eating up all my
bandwidth. Particularly, I'd like to limit the traffic from each
VirtualHost on the server.

This accounting would therefore have to be done at the HTTP level. Now,
I've looked through the Apache docs, and I can't find any references to
any functionality of this sort (though I may have missed it). So, my
question is: is there a piece of software which can 'proxy' these http
requests?

Oh, two things have just sprung to mind:
- I can't guarantee that all http requests will be on port 80. I plan
to offer a Zope hosting service, which may well live on a different
port, depending on how I decide to set it up;
- As soon as I said 'proxy', squid sprang to mind. However, can squid
do the limiting I require, rather than a simple yes/no access control
(I'll post this one in the squid mailing list). Also, this machine is a
bit limited on memory - a huge squid cache is the last thing it needs.

Many thanks for reading this, and again, sorry for the only marginal
relation to FreeBSD... ;)

Cheers,
Dan

=====