Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 2004 16:36:54 +0200
From:      Robert Klein <RoKlein@roklein.de>
To:        Stephen Liu <satimis@icare.com.hk>
Cc:        freebsd-openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [XCIN] Re: Chinese input (using xcin) and OpenOffice on FreeBSD

Hi, Stephen,

> > we're down to two glitches now, right?
> Sorry I don't follow.  Whether you meant 'GLITCHES IN THE
> MATRIX'

kind of..  I meant something like, "we got two small problems
left"..

> > Somewhere in the file /usr/X11R6/etc/xcinrc there are two
> > lines:
> >
> >     (FONTSET
> > "-sony-*-24-*-iso8859-1,-*-medium-r-*-24-*-big5-0")
> >     (OVERSPOT_FONTSET
> > "-sony-*-16-*-iso8859-1,-*-medium-r-*-16-*-big5-0")))
> >

> What do those 2 lines indicate?

The first line says which font to use in the xcin root window.
The second tells xcin which font it should use in the "input
window" if you use the "over the spot" input style.

> It has been there already.
>
> There are 4 fonts available in the font-drop-list on OOo
> Writer ;
>
> AR PL KaitiM Big5
> AR PL Mingti2L Big5
> AR PL KaitiM GB
> AR PL SungtiL GB
>
> Only Big5 fonts worked.  If selecting GB font only empty space
> was inputed.

Mm..  I can understand if there are _some_ characters missing in
GB font.  After all GB font is used to display simplified
Chinese.  But it should display those characters which are the
same in traditional and simplified Chinese.  Are _no_ characters
displayed when you use the GB font, not even for a simple "ni
hao" or so?

> > > 'kedit' still could not work as described in my previous
> > > posting even selecting the Chinese fonts by configuring it
> > Mm... maybe you chose the wrong font?  It should work with
> > both "AR PL KaitiM Big5" and "AR PL Mingti2L Big5".  I've
> > tested different fonts a little bit, and on my system
> > additionally all "Fixed" fonts work, "Mincho" misses some
> > characters (GB font?), "Ming" works, but is kind of ugly --
> > but it seems to have both Big5 and GB characters...
>
> On kedit only 'Song Ti' and 'Fangsong Ti' are available.
> Where is their folder?  I intend to symbolic link the fonts in
> "/usr/local/share/fonts/ TrueType" to their folder.

Mm, what does it say in your /var/log/XFree86.0.log file?

Is there a fonts.dir file in the /usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType
directory?  If not go into the directory and create one using
the command
	ttmkfdir >fonts.dir

If the file is already there -- AND ONLY THEN!! -- try to remove
the
        Load  "xtt"
line in the "Module" Section of the file /etc/X11/XF86Config.

(On a guess, you're seeing the fonts in OOo because you included
them via the spadmin tool..)

Best Regards,
Robert