Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 00:54:49 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Maxime Henrion <mux@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: duplicate -ffreestanding in kernel build

Erik Trulsson wrote:
> As for documentation I suggest you read the documentation for the
> -ffreestanding and -fnobuiltin options in gcc.
> (And read up on the "as-if" rule in the Standard.)

I read it.  It did not specifically state that it made this
assumption, from what I could read.  I read both the man and
info pages.

I asked this before: am I missing some documentation, here?

> > I think I'm going to be sick.
>
> Why?  Because your assumptions turned out to be merely assumptions and
> not facts?

Because (as Mark Valentine said):

	"It means you can't futz with the implementation of the
	 standard library in a standard way."

Does "-nostdlib" imply "turn the printf/puts conversions off,
thanks"?  Assuming you can substitute one standard library
function for another in certain cases really should be more
or less predicated on your having the standard library functions
in scope for the link, right?

-- Terry