Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 23:29:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        jmw@panix.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some very newbie questions...

> 1) What is the best method, or sequence of events, that should be taken
> when sync'ing your source tree?  After CVSup completes, and make'ing
> buildworld, is it safe to installworld immediately following that?  Or
> should I do some other preparation before installworld?

After cvsup, I 'make world'.  Read the top of /usr/src/Makefile for a
description of what this does.

> Finally, at what
> point in this process is it best to rebuild the kernel?  Although I have
> completed the above the other day, with no obvious ill effects, I'm a bit
> concerned as to if I actually did it safely, or did something generally
> stupid.

AFTER 'make world', you should rebuild the kernel and install it.
This includes config, make depend, make, and, make install.

Sometimes, if you make a mistake in creating a kernel, it will not run
on your machine.  For example, you may be able to build an un-runnable
kernel by including conflicting drivers, etc.  However, when you
install a new kernel, the previous kernel is renamed kernel.old.  So,
if a new kernel will not run, just enter kernel.old at the boot prompt
and you will get the previous one.

Note: Every 'make install' in ../../compile/<kernel name> will rename
      kernel to kernel.old.  So, if you build two un-runnable kernels
      in a row, you will not be able to boot kernel.old.  But, you may
      be able to boot kernel.GENERIC, which was installed by the system.
      Do 'ls -l /' and note what is there.

I have several kernels on my system:

kernel*		- the current running kernel
kernel.GENERIC*	- a GENERIC kernel that was installed with the system.
kernel.config*	- a configurable kernel
kernel.old*	- a runnable kernel just before kernel
kernel.prev*	- I kept this one for some reason.
kernel.safe*	- a 'safe' SMP kernel.  One that I ran for a long time.

Most likely, you will have only 3.  kernel, kernel.old, and,
kernel.GENERIC.  I make kernel.safe by copying a good kernel to that
name, when I was playing with the kernel code.