Date:      Thu,  4 Jun 1998 22:24:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
To:        allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kdemultimedia beta4

allen campbell writes:
>> Kevin Street wrote:
>>
>> > I have been watching the ports tree at ftp.freebsd.org for the
>> > Beta4 port of kdemultimedia.  The Beta3 port is marked broken,
>> > upgrade (May 4, I believe.)  Do you know when this might become
>> > available?
>>
>> Most of the multimedia stuff wasn't fixed for FreeBSD until after Beta
>> 4 anyway, so the updated port wouldn't help you much.
>
>I'm sorry Kevin, but your response is not making much sense to me.
>I think this due to my lack kde development information.

Sorry, I guess that answer was a bit cryptic.

>What does `after Beta 4' mean?  Although I don't follow kde
>development closely, I have noted that Beta 4 is the most recent
>release.  Your statement implies that ongoing development has
>corrected problems with Beta 4 multimedia software thats prevents
>it from being ported to FreeBSD.

Right.  KDE development is continuous.  Every once in a while they cut
a `release' version and package it up for distribution (although so
far these are all beta releases).  The most recent beta release is
Beta 4, but it still had problems on FreeBSD.  Since then there have
been several fixes for FreeBSD that will be available in their next
release.

>Is there a more recent release that works with FreeBSD?  Is there
>a port for this?  If not, do you recommend installing kde directly
>from the distribution?

The way to get the current state of development is to get either a
snapshot (which is a copy of the current source tree, done every day
or so) or to use CVSup to retrieve the current sources directly from
the KDE cvs repository.  You can read about CVSup in the FreeBSD
handbook, because it's the same tool that's used if you want to follow
the FreeBSD-stable or -current source trees.

The current KDE sources are a bit more work to compile and install
than a port would be.  You'll need several GNU tools (gmake, automake,
autoconf, GNU m4, gettext, and probably a couple of others that I've
forgotten...). Most of these have ports in the FreeBSD system, but
some you'll have to find on the GNU ftp sites and install.

Once you've got all that, compiling KDE is fairly straightforward
except that since these are sources under development, some pieces may
not always compile.  You need to be a bit familiar with trouble
shooting compile problems on occasion (or be willing to learn).  Most
of the core KDE components will not give you any difficulty though.
If you try this, you can ask questions on the KDE lists.

If you don't want to go to that trouble, then just wait for the next
port, which should show up sometime after the next KDE beta release
(and no, I don't know when that will be).

I hope that was more clear...
--
Kevin Street
street@iName.com