Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 15:14:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      <keith@mail.telestream.com>
To:        Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to restore from a tape using tar?

Just my .02 worth.
I would think that dump would be a far better option for doing the backup
as well as the restore. Using 'restore' you can place things in a differnt
location just by being in a different location when you issue the restore
-i command.
Do something like this.
dump -0auf /dev/st0 /
then to restore it change to what ever location you want and do something
like this.
mt -f /dev/st0 rewind  <if non rewinding device>
restore -i /dev/st0

Works great.

I here by change the name
of RedHat to RedSplat.