Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 2010 22:54:04 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        rick-freebsd2009@kiwi-computer.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, jhs@berklix.com, Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: limits for run away Firefox ?

Rick C. Petty wrote:
 > On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:25:43PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:

 > > > I think not generating a core dump at all is better than
 > > > writing 4 GB to /dev/null.
 > >
 > > A) The method I proposed is useful for other things too, and as you
 > > pointed out it can sometimes be difficult to track down all the ways a
 > > given thing is started.
 >
 > What about just adding the limit command to the /usr/local/bin/firefox
 > script?  That would guarantee any instantiation of firefox wouldn't dump
 > core.

Many users probably don't want any core dumps at all, so
disabling them completely would be the best and easiest
solution for them.  This can be done globally (either with
the sysctl or via /etc/login.conf) or per-user via
~/.login_conf.  Then you don't have to track down the
ways a given thing is started.

 > > B) If we're going to be snarky, it would be far better if it didn't need
 > > to dump core in the first place. :)
 >
 > I don't think that Oliver was at all snarky.

The word "snarky" isn't even in my dictionary, so I can
only guess what it means.

Anyway, my suggestion was meant to be completely serious,
without any irony or other undertone.  I'm not a native
English speaker, so maybe my words expressed a meaning
that wasn't intended.  In that case please allow me to
apologize.

 > But I agree that it would be nice to prevent ffox from segfaulting;

Definitely.  I agree, too.  However, that's a lot more
difficult than preventing core dumps being written.

 > unfortunately this is one of those apps which segfaults a lot (for me at
 > least).  =)

One of the reasons why I prefer Opera.  :)

Best regards
   Oliver

"C++ is over-complicated nonsense. And Bjorn Shoestrap's book
a danger to public health. I tried reading it once, I was in
recovery for months."
        -- Cliff Sarginson