Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:14:41 -0700
From:      Christopher Cowart <ccowart@rescomp.berkeley.edu>
To:        Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suppressing "Limiting icmp unreach response" log messages

--sClP8c1IaQxyux9v

Paul Hoffman wrote:
> How can I eliminate the "Limiting icmp unreach response" messages from=20
> getting to /var/log/messages or to the console? I have a spate of them th=
at=20
> is causing log rollovers. I think I know the source of the problem, but=
=20
> need to get rid of the messages first.

The icmp unreach responses happen when someone sends a UDP packet to
your computer on a port with no running service (or at least, this is
the most likely explanation). Some options:
  * Set up a firewall to deny the inbound traffic
  * Configure blackhole(4) to do the same

I wouldn't recommend attacking the problem from the point of view of
just making the log messages go away, but if you're comfortable with
that, then the other post recommendinding syslog-ng might work for you
(though I'd recommend configuring a pattern match on the message you
want to discard or re-route).

--=20
Chris Cowart
Network Technical Lead
Network & Infrastructure Services, RSSP-IT
UC Berkeley

--sClP8c1IaQxyux9v

--sClP8c1IaQxyux9v--