Date:      Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:26:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Karsten.Brandt@sick.de
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a TI TMS470 controller board

In message: <OF1E13F6EB.6AAAAFB3-ONC12570ED.006A3B54-C12570ED.006F0CB6@sick.de>
            Karsten Brandt <Karsten.Brandt@sick.de> writes:
: The target plattform TMS470 has in the first step only 384k flash and 32k
: RAM.

They you can't run FreeBSD on it.  That's too small even for Linux,
which is a little leaner than FreeBSD.

: When you say the kernel has a size by ~1MByte then I can only hope that
: this size can decreased.

I believe that the compressed size fo the kernel can be made to be <
512k and that the uncompressed size can be a little over 1MB, but that
would be with a lot of fat trimming.

: Then when I've only 32k RAM and I try to shrink a zipped kernel, I becomes
: trouble during the unpack proccess on the target.
: So, that I believe that I can't shrink the kernel via gzip e.g.

Yes.

: But I'm should not lost the hope. Up's is that the right word? I dont
: know.

Unless your board has some external RAM, I think you may be out of
luck.  While one might be able to shrink FreeBSD/arm down to 4MB of
RAM with a lot of effort.  8MB or 16MB would a more realisitc minimum
for most applications

: has you finished your work on the port successfully?

Port is going very well.  I'm porting to a different chip, the Atmel
AT91RM9200.

: Or has you broken up this work, because it was too hard to solve the
: problems?

My board has lots of RAM, FLASH and likely a big MMC card.  We are
looking to load the kernel into a 512kb flash part, which is why I'm
trying to get its size down to that magic number (actually, the kernel
will likely have only 470k of that since we think we'll need 16kb for
the boot loader and 16kb for board specific data, that's if we don't
hack just load everything off the MMC device).

Warner