Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:52:33 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        UCTC Sysadmin <support@transpacific.net>
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Mark Busby <redtick@sbcglobal.net>
Subject:   Re: SOLVED: Re: Problems with "burncd" - cannot mount result on unix or windows

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

Line length unified.

On Thursday, 22 March 2007 at 16:16:58 -0700, UCTC Sysadmin wrote:
> In looking at the documentation for "cdrecord", the examples showed
> a two-step process of making an ISO image then burning it.
>
> Here's my deal:
>
> NEVER HAVING BURNED a CD or DVD on FreeBSD before - I go to the
> documentation to FIND OUT HOW and there really is no HOW

You mention documentation above, but you don't say what you're
referring to.

> So I look in vain for
>
> "What you need to do in the kernel if anything to support burning CDs/DVDs"
> "What additional support libraries or software would be needed"
> "The stepwise process for burning CDs or DVDs"

What's wrong with the information in the handbook?
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html

> So THE FAQ and/or HOWTO SUCKS, is the problem.

I see two problems, both of them different:

- You don't say what you read, and what you didn't understand about
  it.
- You didn't submit an update.

> If that offends purists,

I think what's more likely to offend is a complaint without
substantiation.  I'm not saying that there are no errors in the
documentation--of course there are--but how can we fix them (if they
exist) based on your rant?

Greg

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk--