Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 00:50:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "PLEASE RERUN FSCK"

I have found a lot of pleasure in RTFM of fsck. In fact, I think, I
know it by heart, right now. Unfortunately it does not give me a hint
what to do if fsck refuses to do anything about an "unrecovered read
error", but insists on being rerun infinitily (well no change after 50
times).
I've also tried the mailing list archives, but no luck there either.
Now this bad partition is the /home partition, on which there is
nothing but my own user settings, as I set up the box yesterday. The
cause of the problems is that I had to do a cold reboot when fxtv (or
probably a parameter I set stupidly) froze everything. That's all.
Can't I just "reformat" the /home partition? If so, how. I've already
commented out the /home in /etc/fstab.

I also tried the -b 32 option (hope I got this right), which gave me
the question "update standard superblock?" Both the yes and the no
answer did do nothing to change the wish of fsck to be run and run and
run and ...

Any help, especially something practical to read, much appreciated.
Reinstalling everything is no really big deal, but I would like to
know and understand :-)

Marc Schneiders

marc@venster.nl
marc@oldserver.demon.nl

propro         	 12:34am  up             2:02,  load average: 2.00 2.00 2.03